Monday, August 15, 2011

Geocaching and Mindfulness

Since I've gotten a new smartphone, I've been finding all sorts of ways to get the most use out of it, improving both my productivity and fun.  The GPS function on the phone has been amazing for on-the-fly directions, whether walking or driving, and lately for geocaching. 

For those who don't know, geocaching is an outdoor adventure game/treasure hunt that's played all over the world.  After obtaining coordinates and hints here, the idea is to go out into the world and find what other people have hidden.  The way the game is played, you're expected to sign a cache's log book and then record your find online.  Some caches have 'treasure' (aka swag) inside, typically some tiny, virtually worthless trinkets or toys.  The swag is secondary to the hunt, and the idea is that these items are for finders to take, as long as they leave something in trade. 

Having outlined the bare basics of the game, I can now write about what geocaching has meant for me.  I know it sounds trite, but it's really changed the way I interact with the world.  It's an activity that requires mindfulness, patience, and concentration.  Geocaching forces me to push through obstacles in order to meet the goal at the other end, and to take things in stride when the effort falls flat. 

This weekend, I found myself frustrated after finding a cache that was supposed to have coordinates to another cache with a treasure box.  After at least an hour of tracking it down, ducking under fallen trees, swatting mosquitoes, bleeding from thorn scratches, and sweating like a beast, we finally found the container, only to discover it was empty!  I started to grumble.  I was annoyed; I mean, who wouldn't be?  All that work, and no payoff?  What a bummer!

But then...I realized that the prize was secondary to the effort.  We'd put forth our best effort and did the hard work, succeeding until we hit that brick wall.  There was teamwork, laughter, and a renewed effort at finding any other caches in the area.  Along the trail, I was quite mindful of the joy I'd experienced from having a good friend along, of the wonders of nature to be seen along the way, and the challenge of the puzzle itself.  Of course, for good measure, I did email the person who hid the cache, asking them to help me check this one off my list.

I've discovered that geocaching is an amazing tool for bonding with my three-year-old son Caleb, as well.  His mom is really into pirates, which means he is, too, so for him the idea of gathering treasure is just about the most exciting thing possible.  I've been able to take him to places outside of his normal urban/suburban environment, showing him the wonders of his world.  It's given me the chance to see things through his eyes, and everything I show him feels as fresh and new to me as it must feel for him.  He and I have examined spiders, ferns, swans, and interesting rocks, just to name a few things.  He's learned that there's a lot of amazing stuff out there, and I think I've impressed upon him a love of discovery.

I've been so much more in-tune with the small details of the world around me, thanks to him, and to see him discover a cache on his own (with a little gentle hinting from Daddy, of course..."Honey, try moving that pile of sticks over there....hey!  You found it!") is to see him burst with confidence and glee.  Teaching him how to trade for swag has made me mindful of the thrill others must feel when they find a cache, and I've tried, whenever possible, to trade up.  That is, I've tried to improve others' experience when possible, leaving something of greater value that what was taken.  Through this, I've been teaching Caleb generosity and kindness, as well.  At the end of the day, we'll sit down at the dinner table and talk about what we found, how we found it, and what sort of treasure to hunt next. 

As a solo activity, geocaching has been remarkably therapeutic.  It's let me get out of the house, process my thoughts, and breathe deeply.  I find myself at a point in my life where I don't have too many answers, but caching fills that void at least a little.  I know that I can follow a few clues to a final destination, and add some certainty to uncertain times just by solving a few puzzles.  Geocaching has finally given me incentive to exercise, as well.  I've been wanting to get in better shape for a long time now, and I've found that hiking through the woods or the city has been remarkably satisfying.

Geocaching has improved my life in other ways I'm just beginning to discover.  Having made my 100th find yesterday, I foresee a lot more coming in my future.  I've even got some plans to hide a few of my own; if you find them, let me know, and drop me a line to let me know what geocaching has meant for you.  Happy (and mindful) caching!

No comments:

Post a Comment