Friday, May 27, 2011

A Note to My Son

My darling boy,

Last weekend as you took a nap on the couch, I was struck by how peacefully you lay there, how sweet and calm and innocent.  I watched you breathing softly and uttered a silent prayer that you'd always know such peace.  Inspired, I lay on the floor to do some breathing meditation, and as I slowly opened my eyes, there you were, peering at me over the edge of the couch.  You had the most amazing look on your face, full of love, curiosity, and happiness.  I've seen all of those things from you before, but this time was special.  This time, you were radiant in a way I've never seen before.

Silently, you climbed off the couch and put your pillow next to mine.  You snuggled right in next to me, and as we shared a blanket, you kept looking at me with that silent, luminous smile.  I can't begin to express the depth of peace and happiness this small but prolonged moment brought me.  I've said that you're the greatest teacher I've ever had, and learning to experience your joy has made me a better, happier person. The impression of this moment will sit with me for a long time, and for that, and so much more, I thank you.

I love you, little boy.  I love you more than you could ever imagine.

--Your Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment